WHY CRY OVER CORRUPTION? LET’S ENJOY IT
I get amazed when I hear the elderly crying over corruption. Sometimes even accusing the young ones of bring new levels to corruption. Well, we are just being innovative as we are being admonished to be.
Corruption is more like a seed that was planted and its harvest time. We are all enjoying. Corruption, in fact, starts from the home. Right from the house, we are taught the basics of corruption. Corruption 101. Let me give you some scenarios
1. Kwame has finished school but is not finding any job. His father from one of his numerous business escapades asked him in the presence of his junior brother if no one has asked him to come pay some money for a job offer.
2. Mrs Amoah runs a big shop and has WAVES Bank as her bankers. During Christmas, she distributes rice to all the staff at the bank. Her son who is in the polytechnic cautions her mum about the financial implications of what she is doing. “If I don’t do this, they won’t approve my loans and overdraft” says Mrs Amoah.
3. Kwesi wrote BECE and had a terrible grade. Under normal circumstances, he cant get admission into any kind of SHS. His father goes to pay his way. During one of the vacations, as Kwesi was hanging out with friends, his Dad got angry and tells him, “Do you know how much I paid to get you admission into the school? You better study and stop this fooling”
4. In school, Afua has realized that the teachers are not really interested in her progress. What she has realized is that the favorites of the teachers are those whose parents always bring the teachers gift just before vacation (our day) or even invite the teachers home for dinner. She knows very well that her parents cannot afford gift for the teachers talking less of dinner. (I can feel some teachers are not happy, hehehehee)
These are just a few of such scenarios.
Now when these children grow up, they know “In life, you pay your way through” Let me hasten to say that children learn more via what parents do than the instructions that are given. I have noticed that Ghanaians are always running away from the truth. Who checks corruption in this country? Parents entreat their children to take certain career paths not for any reason but the money they assume they will make in not time. Talk of the CEPS, Immigration, Police, Nursing, etc.
Corruption is now part of our being, let’s enjoy it. I remember a comment one of my Snr friends, Nana Kwabena Yeboah passed when the Catholic Pope said all those found to be corrupt should be thrown into the sea with a stone hanging on their neck. He was like “Does he want us to take over the sea” Why pretend like the canker is a new thing? Our parents (I mean elderly in the society) thought us. Some people will talk of nepotism, but they are just like the Telco’s in Ghana, different colors but the same in inefficiencies.
..to be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment